Overall Aims of Learn and
- Increase public awareness of the unacceptably
high accident rate among newly-qualified young drivers and their passengers.
- Lobby for effective legislation and education to
influence the ATTITUDE and BEHAVIOUR of newly-qualified young drivers while
protecting passengers travelling with this high-risk group.
The campaign was originally established in 1989 to
prevent newly-qualified drivers from accompanying learners, legislation which
is now incorporated into The Highway Code. In 1990 it focussed its attention on
obtaining a 2-year probationary period for all newly-qualified drivers,
promoting a separate written theory test and producing educational materials to
highlight the responsibilities and vulnerability of novice drivers and their
passengers. Other objectives subsequently achieved include Learner driver
record books,mandatory hazard perception testing and recommendation of the
green 'P' plate design by the Department for Transport.Other objectives
subsequently achieved include Learner driver record books, mandatory hazard
perception testing and recommendation of the green 'P' plate design by the
Department for Transport.
Learn and Live moved on to lobby for a Graduated
Driving Licence (GDL), similar to those in use in other developed countries.
This is a staged process for achieving a full licence incorporating
restrictions on risky situations known to increase the likelihood of a fatal
crash. The evidence clearly proves the advantages of such a
Summary of Legislative Proposals
- Mandatory display of a identifyings plates by all
novice drivers during the probationary period associated with each stage of the
- A Graduated Driving Licence with a FULL LICENCE
achieved on successful completion of the 2-year probationary period. A test
certificate would be issued on passing the practical driving
- Minimum learning period with required training
elements to increase supervised practice.
- Mandatory motorway instruction, night driving
& skid control during the later stages of a GDL.
- Limits on the numbers of young passengers
carried,unless accompanied by
a mature adult
- Restriction to cars in lower insurance groups,
unless accompanied by a mature adult (over 21).
- Reduced blood-alcohol level.
- No towing of caravans or trailers without further
Summary of Non-Legislative Proposals
- Access to off-road instruction prior to taking to
- Purpose-built driving areas for pre-driver/learner
- Further education and publicity aimed at parents
and novice drivers on the relative risks in particular driving
- The promotion of voluntary P plate
schemes country-wide in anticipation of the introduction of compulsory